September 7, 2019

The Unrepentant Marxist’s years at Bard College

Filed under: bard college — louisproyect @ 3:44 pm

This is from the unpublished comic book I did with Harvey Pekar intended for a “Bard in the 60s and 70s” Facebook group I belong to. It is being posted according to Fair Use laws that permit brief excerpts of copyright material to be quoted verbatim for purposes such as criticism, news reporting, teaching, and research, without the need for permission from or payment to the copyright holder.

1. You’re cool, Louis, I love it.

Comment by manuelgarciajr — September 7, 2019 @ 10:04 pm

2. Very good stuff. I’d like to read more.

Comment by Robert Anderson — September 7, 2019 @ 11:37 pm

3. Did you ever meet the Steely Dan guys, Donald Fagen and Walter Becker, at Bard? Chevy briefly played drums in one of their college bands.

Comment by Cal — September 8, 2019 @ 3:09 pm

4. I graduated a couple of years before they arrived. Chevy was a year behind me and so was able to connect. An old friend of mine named Hannah, who was in Chevy’s class, told me once that Fagen had approached her for some advice on harmony (she was a music major). She listened to him play a song he had written and told him that he should be advising her.

Comment by louisproyect — September 8, 2019 @ 3:40 pm

5. Louis,
    Great comic book about Bard and you. I want to see the rest.
    In 1966, we demonstrated at the Bard Graduation against the War in Vietnam. Not that I really had a clue about Vietnam, but Peter Fuchs and Alison Raphael told me what they thought. Little did I know that less than three years later I would find myself in Vietnam driving trucks in a combat arms unit.
    Now I think about what I might do to defeat Trump.
    Craig Livingston

Comment by Craig Livingston — September 8, 2019 @ 7:00 pm

6. Is this Pekar’s artwork? The illustrator did a good job with the look of an early 60’s Yamaha twin 2 stroke street bike.

Comment by Karl Friedrich — September 9, 2019 @ 12:24 am

7. Fun! Fun! Fun! Share more!

Comment by Kamran Nayeri — September 9, 2019 @ 1:46 am

8. Dabo tibi coronam vitae, dude! I agree,share some more…

Comment by Kurt Hill — September 9, 2019 @ 1:40 pm

9. Such a great project and tragic that it was never brought to completion.

Here is the Bleucher Archive at Bard:

One thing that surprised me is that people as far back as 1961 were into Tolkien.

Was that unique to Bard? I was wondering whether there might have been someone in the faculty. who turned people on to Tolkien, who had been associated as a writer for children with The Hobbit.

I date the rise of Tolkien more in the mid-1960s (when I read him) but, obviously, his popularity had been gradually building over time.. .

Comment by HH — September 11, 2019 @ 4:51 pm

10. Gerald Horne says that Manhattanites turned jazz into a kind of music to be listened to, instead of danced to, to discourage interracial dancing. Were you aware of that tendency then? What part did you play?

Comment by Robert Green — September 14, 2019 @ 12:18 pm