April 25, 2018

The Permutations of Assadism

Filed under: Uncategorized — louisproyect @ 8:06 pm

Excellent critique of the Assadist left

Splintered Eye

The history of the past century is littered with episodes of anthropogenic evil: Armenia, the Holocaust, Bosnia, Rwanda, Darfur. In their aftermaths, reverberated the collective riposte of “never again.” Only to be followed by Syria, awaiting its eventual transcription into modernity’s catalog of barbarism.

Seven years in the making, the internecine conflict has mutated into nothing short of a global catastrophe: culminating in the worst humanitarian tragedy of the postwar period, spawning a refugee crisis of unparalleled proportions, and fermenting a belligerent sectarianism where ‘disaster Islamism’ wound up thriving. As the world looked on in horror and outrage, it simultaneously resigned itself to the conclusion that the Syrian byzantine precluded any objective extrapolation; that it is far too “complicated” to acquire neutral information is invoked with almost chronic exhortation.

A sub-thread to this sophism of withdrawal is a rancid Assadist discourse that has colonized debate in radical circles…

View original post 4,126 more words

1. Fantastic critique. Thank you Louis for posting this. There were passages that lost me with heavy jargon, but I am literate enough to get the main points. The passage about ‘hasbara’ hit it the nail right on the head, as far as showing the sheer hypocrisy of people like Blumenthal:

“It is unsurprising then that Assadism has successfully incorporated the [Israeli] hasbara playbook into its arsenal. In a tragic twist, many voices that are acquainted with Israeli deflection and denialism on Palestine likewise emit a deafening silence towards the Assad’s counter-revolution against Syrians. Negation is couched in terms of ‘security’ and ‘counterterrorism’, lesser evil and Islamophobic rationalizations, while routinely leading to conspiratorial allegations in desperate attempts to exonerate a bloodstained rump state.”

Comment by Reza — April 26, 2018 @ 1:12 am

2. The linked article was a worthless piece of shit, and it reflects poorly on you, Proyect, for recommending it. See my comment at the link for a few thoughts. I was, and still am, trying to maintain an open mind, reading your posts. I want to understand your point of view, and I think of you as an intelligent person and senior intellectual of considerable knowledge who ought to be accorded respectful attention. And that is what I am doing, still, though I feel myself approaching the end. I will carry on as best I can. This particular article recommendation was a setback.

Comment by proton — May 1, 2018 @ 8:26 pm

3. Much better, and also rather amusing:

I will share this one with that moron over at splintered eye (splintered mind), as well.

Comment by proton — May 1, 2018 @ 10:34 pm

4. Proton, do you get off on bombing hospitals? They have medication for that.

Comment by louisproyect — May 1, 2018 @ 11:14 pm

5. You see, Louis? That’s the problem. You make it very hard for someone to maintain an open mind, and believe me I’ve tried. I make a critical comment, and now I’m a supporter of hospital bombing. Everyone who disagrees with you is an “Assadist”. It is almost as though you are consciously trying to drive people away. Are you? But, regardless, even if you are, I will still read your more intellectually respectable contributions (and there are some) with interest and due consideration.

Comment by proton — May 2, 2018 @ 1:30 pm

6. You have an open mind? Really? How open is it when you characterize an article as a worthless piece of shit for including this:

A frequent target of conspiratorial derision has been the White Helmets, the first responders who regularly pull Syrian bodies out from the rubble of airstrikes. The rescue organization’s members wear body cameras and thus have emerged as a leading source of evidence of air strikes against civilian infrastructure. Because of this, both Russian and Syrian governments launched a smear crusade. Vanessa Beeley, in an article for RT, labeled them a “terrorist support group and Western propaganda tool”, while the Kremlin wire Sputnik referred to them (and also quoting Beeley) as a “controversial quasi-humanitarian organization” which was “fabricating ‘evidence’ of Russia’s ‘disastrous’ involvement in Syria”.

So, if this is “a worthless piece of shit”, the only conclusion I can draw is that you are an Assadist tool.

Comment by louisproyect — May 2, 2018 @ 1:51 pm

7. Machavellian Prince: “Little Prince why do you throw stones at rats running through the sewers of Damascus? They are so small and so far away that they make a difficult target for you to hit. Would it not be better if you threw your stones at the big game in Kansas and Wyoming?”

Little Prince: “Oh yes those boars and bulls over there would be much easier to hit. But such a beast would not at feel any pain at all from the small stones that I could throw at it. On the other hand If I were to hit a rat running through the sewer of Damascus the rat will stop in its tracks.”

Machavellian Prince: “I assure you little prince,If you hit a boar or bull in the eye your stones will annoy the beasts. If you hit the right beast in the eye it might even stop a stampede.”

Little Prince: “Hmmm, I never thought of that. I am so glad that you are my big brother.”

Comment by Curt Kastens — May 2, 2018 @ 10:15 pm

8. Louis, it was a worthless piece of shit for reasons I made clear in my reply on the page (at the article’s site), including the matter of the white helmets. Maybe the author is right. But he does not persuade, provides no evidence, simply asserts and expects us to believe. Hence, worthless piece of shit. If I am an “Assadist tool” for expecting evidence, then so be it.

Comment by proton — May 3, 2018 @ 11:18 pm

9. And BTW, if it were arguing on the other side of the issue, with the same lack of evidence, my conclusion would be the same. Fuck ALL these authors who simply want us to BELIEVE.

Comment by proton — May 3, 2018 @ 11:27 pm

10. The purpose of Splinter Eye article was not to prove that the White Helmets are not al-Qaeda. He assumed that his readers have read material beforehand that establishes that. If you want to know what people like Amar and I think, you can read this:

Comment by louisproyect — May 4, 2018 @ 12:48 am

11. Thanks for the links, but your sources are generally unimpressive, to put it mildly. The Guardian? Snopes? Huffpo? Gads. I simply can’t take anything from those places seriously. Not because everything they say is a lie; of course not. Probably 90% of what they say is true. The devil is in sifting out the remaining 10%. One can literally spend one’s life sifting through crap like that.

On the first link, you write of a series of articles by a guy named Sterling: “One might ask why one article was insufficient to make his point but experts in the art of propaganda understand that repetition is key.” One might ask why you did not notice that it was a serialized long article — something you’ve probably done a number of times on your own blog. And you continue from there with a thick diatribe from which it is quite difficult to extract nuggets of… well, things that seem likely at least. Gads, again. And it is no better on the other side, I might add. This whole discussion is so hyper-politicized, hardened and propaganda-ridden at this point that I will probably simply give up. No one can be trusted, and it takes forever to vet each thing, and even then there are uncertainties; I NEVER get to the bottom of the rabbit holes, it seems. I have to make a living and live my life, aside from trying to figure out Syria. Figuring out Syria now appears to be something that could not be done even if I had full time and an unlimited supply of amphetamine.

Comment by proton — May 4, 2018 @ 6:06 pm

12. Figuring out Syria now appears to be something that could not be done even if I had full time and an unlimited supply of amphetamine.

They do recommend amphetamine for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. I’d give it a try since you obviously need it.

Comment by louisproyect — May 4, 2018 @ 6:20 pm