December 3, 2016

Gus Hall surrenders

Filed under: trade unions,workers — louisproyect @ 10:13 pm

NY Times, June 1, 1937

screen-shot-2016-12-03-at-5-10-48-pm

1. Never heard about this case? Sounds like a frame up? And why would dynamiting even be considered in the CIO’s most successful organizing year? Sounds like an agent provocateur frame job like the FBI employs today on so-called domestic terrorists?

Comment by Karl Friedrich — December 3, 2016 @ 10:21 pm

2. Well, railroad tracks were blown up in 1937 so this was likely done by the strikers themselves since it paralyzed steel production. In Ahmed White’s book on the Little Steel Strike, which referred to the NYT article in a footnote, there is a lot of detail about how violent the confrontation was on both sides.

Comment by louisproyect — December 3, 2016 @ 10:24 pm

3. It is stupid to blow up railroad tracks as the Army Air Corps found out in WWII. It takes less time to fix them than blowing up a road. Now if you are talking about a bridge, then that will take time to repair, but still not too long or more than one day.

Comment by randyjet — December 5, 2016 @ 6:49 pm

4. My mother just read this article and remembers Gus Hall coming to her parents’ home around that time, asking her father, a well respected employee at the steel mill and community leader, to join him in organizing the union at Republic Steel. He ate my grandmothers blackberry pie, and gave my grandfather a pistol, which my mother still has. My grandfather did not want any part of the violence that Gus Hall was promoting, and turned him down. He fired the gun just once, on New Years a few years later.

Comment by Carlotta Lively — February 6, 2017 @ 1:00 am

5. Albeit he was no Norman Thomas I find it hard to believe Gus Hall had a violent bone in his body and while I probably only agreed with 10% of the CPUSA’s politics over my lifetime — if that above story is true — man I wish I had that Gus Hall pistol in my possession right now. That’s a real historical artifact that would be something to hold in your hand.

Comment by Karl Friedrich — February 6, 2017 @ 2:09 am

6. Would you ask your Mother if she would consider selling it Ms.Carlotta? I can be reached at yotapartsguy@gmail.com

Comment by Karl Friedrich — February 6, 2017 @ 2:17 am