October 13, 2015

Socialist Unity censors me

Filed under: Stalinism — louisproyect @ 12:18 pm

This is a blog in Britain that boosts the reputation of Winston Churchill, Joseph Stalin, Bashar al-Assad and other notables. Its most frequent posters are Andy Newman and John Wight, who has come under scrutiny here. Recently Wight wrote a critique of Richard Seymour and myself on Socialist Unity after which I attempted to reply. Four days and it is still sitting in a moderator’s queue:

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 8.10.28 AM

I suppose I am fortunate that I am only censored. If these people had state power, I probably would have been tortured or killed by now.

1. I believe you were placed on moderation at SU for your repeated trolling of Andy Newman and your use of a pseudonym to do so. This is dishonest and only succeeds in disrupting discussion and debate, rather than adding to it.

The comment you have cited I will be happy to release from moderation.

Comment by John Wight — October 13, 2015 @ 12:30 pm

2. I never used a pseudonym, number one. Number two, I have not posted on Socialist Unity for more than 10 years or so. I have no idea what I wrote 10 years ago and neither do you. In the last month or so I posted a couple of news items such as the one I just tried to post. Also, don’t do me any favors. I don’t need to be monitored as if I was a suicide bomber. I believe in free speech (as long as you don’t use a proxy server, keep the verbal abuse to a minimum, and have an IQ of at least 85.)

Comment by louisproyect — October 13, 2015 @ 12:37 pm

3. You did use a pseudonym at one point. You became fixated for a while. It happens. I seem to recall when I used to be on your Marxmail list you throwing me off for something similar back around 2004. You were posting during at SU in 2009/10, so six years ago. What does it matter?

I have no problem with you posting at SU. Personal abuse is unacceptable, as I’m sure you agree.

Comment by John Wight — October 13, 2015 @ 12:55 pm

4. FYI, I am not posting on Socialist Unity any more. Also, it is a baldfaced lie that you were removed from Marxmail. When someone gets the boot from Marxmail, I announce it in a moderator’s note. Go search the archives for any indication that you were removed: http://lists.csbs.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/. It was obvious at the time that you were not that familiar with Marxist ideas and hence clashed with the general drift of the list. I don’t blame you for unsubbing. I am also happy for you that you found a home on an outlet that extols Winston Churchill, Joseph Stalin and Bashar al-Assad.

Comment by louisproyect — October 13, 2015 @ 1:02 pm

5. ‘It was obvious at the time that you were not that familiar with Marxist ideas’

As the man said: “If anything is certain, it is that I myself am not a Marxist.’

Karl Marx

Comment by John Wight — October 13, 2015 @ 1:25 pm

6. I’m glad that this blog does not extol Winston Churchill, Joseph Stalin or Bashar al-Assad. And I agree that censorship is unjustified in normal circumstances. But to my dismay at least one page of this blog had EVERY possible comment pre-censored:

Perhaps it’s fitting, as that post was a defence of Counterpunch which also has a policy of not publishing comments. A policy that Louis used to criticize. Regardless of the disputed details, this post would have carried more weight if the author had not ever committed the same sin.

Comment by Jeff — October 13, 2015 @ 1:44 pm

7. Jeff, can you be more specific?

Comment by louisproyect — October 13, 2015 @ 1:54 pm

8. Well I thought I was already very specific. But if you’d like I could be much less specific: “What goes around, comes around.”

Comment by Jeff — October 13, 2015 @ 3:20 pm

9. This is not censorship. It is called posting with comments off. I do this every couple of years as the spirit moves me. The last time was over the comic book I did with Harvey Pekar. As a blogger, I should be able to post something from time to time without having to permit comments either pro or con.

Comment by louisproyect — October 13, 2015 @ 7:39 pm

10. Louis, you posted at Socialist Unity as recently as 2012 – look http://socialistunity.com/new-libya-gaddafism-without-gaddafi/#comment-593501.

You used the pseudonym “Hukkalaka Meshabob” to call the SU people “Stalinist scum” because you thought you’d been excluded. When you realised your mistake you used the same pseudonym to “apologise”. You even ran a post titled “Banned by Socialist Unity” but you smartly deleted it. And poor old innocent me went and took the SU people to task for banning you because I thought you had some integrity back then.

You precensored comment from your ludicrous defence of Counterpunch post https://louisproyect.org/2015/07/24/in-defense-of-counterpunch/ because you were lying and you didn’t want the lies exposed in the thread in spite of the fact most of your readers must have known you were lying anyway.

Jeff, this post isn’t simply hypocritical in light of Louis’s own censoring antics, it is factually wrong in that he hasn’t been censored at all and his below the line comments here are as dishonest as his defence of Counterpunch post.

Here lies Louis Proyect…again. All very sad and for what?

Comment by Levi9909 — October 14, 2015 @ 12:08 am

11. You used the pseudonym “Hukkalaka Meshabob” to call the SU people “Stalinist scum” because you thought you’d been excluded.

Amazed how Jews sans Frontieres stalks me. I feel like Jodie Foster.

Comment by louisproyect — October 14, 2015 @ 1:47 am

12. Louis, in your comment (2 above) you numbered your lies one and two. You used a pseudonym (you said you didn’t) and you posted to SU around 3 years ago (not “more than 10 years ago). I told you before that I remembered it because I made the mistake of defending you at SU when I read the post you subsequently deleted (it’s here http://postimg.org/image/l0zdb94hv/ by the way). Remembering some basics from the thread like your name, my name and Socialist Unity makes googling quite easy. If you think googling is stalking then you can always apply to google for the right to be forgotten. On the other hand you can stop lying and throwing insults around every time someone criticises you.

Comment by Levi9909 — October 14, 2015 @ 8:25 am

13. Remembering some basics from the thread like your name, my name and Socialist Unity makes googling quite easy.

What kind of name is Levi9909? I remember when kids got named something like Moonbeam in the 60s. Whatever possessed your parents to name you Levi9909?

Comment by louisproyect — October 14, 2015 @ 1:33 pm

14. Does the 9909 refer to an inverted 666?

Comment by Raccko (@racckoff) — October 20, 2015 @ 4:56 pm

15. I posted several reasonable comments on the JSF blog and they haven’t posted those comments.

Comment by Raccko (@racckoff) — October 20, 2015 @ 4:57 pm