February 8, 2015

How I stack up against my old comrades

Filed under: cults — louisproyect @ 5:46 pm

From www.alexa.com:

Screen shot 2015-02-08 at 12.40.44 PM

Screen shot 2015-02-08 at 12.44.02 PM

1. You compared the rank in the USA to the rank in the UK. This is not the type of analysis I expect from you. :-}

Comment by Mike — February 8, 2015 @ 11:54 pm

2. Yes, I didn’t notice that until someone brought it to my attention about an hour ago. The SWP has 10 percent more views in the USA than I do and I have nearly twice as many worldwide.

Comment by louisproyect — February 9, 2015 @ 1:27 am

3. “Alexa data is basically worthless if you’re trying to do any serious analysis of visitor numbers to websites. You just don’t use it as you will almost always get something that isn’t remotely close to reality” – http://www.realsceptic.com/2013/08/12/why-you-shouldnt-use-alexa-traffic-statistics/

Comment by William — February 11, 2015 @ 6:05 am

4. It’s more amazing that an organization that sells books and newspapers all over the world has such a low ranking for their website. Apparently they pull in hundreds of thousands of dollars a year (which they use a lot of to pay Barnes and his wife) but they can’t bring even a few thousand visitors to their website a month. Probably because the website doesn’t earn them any money so they don’t promote it (or update it, it looks like something out of the 90’s).

To put things in perspective, the SEP’s WSWS ranks 43,350 in the world. My personal blog about books I’ve read ranks around 730,000 and I only get 5000 unique users a month on it. Either the SWP gets less than that 5000 viewers a month on their website or Alexa is utter shite.

Comment by Shim — February 11, 2015 @ 12:57 pm

5. William, any suggestions for more accurate data/ In any case, I am quite sure that WSWS.org gets far more traffic than WSWS.org than the Militant–not that means it we are on the threshold of a WSWS government.

Comment by louisproyect — February 11, 2015 @ 1:37 pm

6. Google analytics is the most accurate, but each site has to give Google access and the stats are only made public if the site owner wants that. W3 school snoop is OK. That says the militant website only gets 578 uniques a day, which is pathetic considering their history and reach. It says you get almost 900 uniques a day, which is okay for a personal blog but not great. It’s usually said that a blog needs 100000 monthly uniques to be taken seriously. You can check your stats and see how accurate w3 is in your case. I think your stats should be higher since you’re linked back to by many sites with authority. It’s probably a lack of SEO, bad link structures and things like lack of a site map that are limiting your views.

Comment by William — February 12, 2015 @ 6:02 am

7. Here’s the bad news: internet rankings have very little relevance to real life political activity and influence. The WSWS is one of the most popular leftist news sites in the United States yet how many “average Americans” have heard of it or the SEP? Or, for a better illustration of the point:

The bat shit insane “Leading Light Communist Organization” MIM spin off website that is most likely run by one or two people got 5 million hits last year and ranks 436,319 on Alexa. That means it’s a more popular websites than this and more popular than the website of national US organizations like the WWP, PSL, SWP and others.

One of the most popular websites for a leftist organization in the US is that of Bob Avakian’s RCP cult.

I think I’ve proved my point.

It is interesting though, including that you get more hits than the SWP’s website which one would imagine they promote around the world.

Comment by jomacoy — February 20, 2015 @ 8:56 am