September 15, 2014

My life in politics

Filed under: autobiographical,comedy — louisproyect @ 12:31 am

This is an interview I gave to a graduate student in Texas on September 13, 2014. It is focused on my experience in Houston, Texas in the early to mid 70s but also deals with my prior experiences as well as those after I left Houston. The silent films will hopefully compensate for the uselessness and drudgery of my life in politics.

Some day, either after I croak or Joyce Brabner croaks, my comic book memoir will make its way on the Internet. In the meantime, this should do. I don’t think there’s much more that has to be said that can’t be said in an hour. This should be of interest to those who feel some affection toward me or to those who hate my guts. Those in-between will scratch their heads in wonderment about my wayward walk through the American left.

1. Lot’s of people had a “wayward walk” through the left, Louis. I enjoyed the interview. To be honest, I listened to half and will finish it tomorrow. So this hints at a possible editing job. Of course, I have ADHD and could never sit through class, you can chalk it up to that. My interview would include Fred Mazelis refusal to hand toilet paper down the cells to dry the hosed down benches, b/c I was of the wrong tendency, the Texas YPSL anarchist faction who wore sausages around their necks, berets and scarves, and the attempt to recruit me at Sy Landy’s funeral replete with literature tables, and Dave van Ronk selling me something I won’t mention outside the Fat Black Pussycat. The comedy and pathos of the Trotskyists sixty years after Trotsky himself was assisinated.

Comment by Peter Myers — September 15, 2014 @ 1:33 am

2. sorry louis. an hour is not enough.

Comment by Charles Faulkner — September 15, 2014 @ 5:03 am

3. Interesting as far as it goes, but you’d need another hour at least to talk about writing and, well, art.
    After all films are art of a sort and you’ve spent a good part of your life watching and writing about them.

Comment by Peter Byrne — September 15, 2014 @ 3:01 pm

4. I have always enjoyed that you were an aficionado of film and not just a dry polemicist of Marxism. And that you hated dogmatism and sectarianism.

Comment by Peter Myers — September 15, 2014 @ 3:23 pm

5. You are remembered in Houston with respect and affection by 3-4 members of the IT faction that was expelled from the SWP. After their expulsion from the party, they began a study group at the University of Houston which ran for a number of years, until the death of Fred Brody, who founded it. This is where I encountered them, and I have remained in touch lo these many years with a few of them. As I said, these few remember you with affection and respect, and regularly read your blog. From all of us, keep up the good work.

Comment by gulf mann — September 15, 2014 @ 6:55 pm

6. 50 years ago, Louis. 50.

Comment by David — September 18, 2014 @ 3:47 pm

7. “50 years” reminds me of the humorous anecdote on academic mathematicians that is mentioned in the biography of Paul Erdos. They’re still capable of developing complex proofs on number theory but can’t remember their multiplication tables from grade school. When you program computers for 50 years, the need to do basic arithmetic becomes obsolete!

Thanks for sharing the interview.

Comment by aaron — September 18, 2014 @ 6:17 pm