September 3, 2014

American White Nationalists To Hold Conference With Russian And European Far Right

Filed under: right-left convergence,Russia — louisproyect @ 4:35 pm

The fringes of the U.S. conservative movement build bridges with their counterparts on the other side of the Atlantic.

posted on Aug. 29, 2014, at 4:34 p.m.

National Policy Institute / Via npiamerica.org

WASHINGTON — The white nationalist think tank the National Policy Institute is holding a conference in October in Hungary that will feature Alexander Dugin, a Russian nationalist thinker who is increasingly popular in Kremlin circles.

Richard Spencer, the president of NPI and a former writer at the American Conservative, said the conference, which will also feature figures from the ascendant European far right, would be the first of its kind for NPI outside the United States. It’s part of an effort to reach out to “European traditionalists” all over the world, he said, and the relationship with Dugin is just beginning: a publishing arm attached to NPI will publish a book this fall by Dugin, who this week called for Ukraine to be“cleansed” of the Ukrainian “race of bastards.”

“I think there are a lot of things happening in Europe that I think would excite people like me and people who want to go to the conference, and would excite Americans who care about their European identity,” Spencer said.

Apart from Dugin, the conference will also host Márton Gyöngyösi, a leader of Jobbik, Hungary’s extremist far right political party.

This is not the first time that figures from the fringes of the American conservative movement have built bridges with the right in Europe and Russia. Pat Buchanan has publicly expressed support for Vladimir Putin’s policies, as have others. But this is the first time that Spencer’s crowd of white nationalists, who are no longer welcome in the mainstream U.S. conservative movement, have so publicly joined themselves to their Russian and European counterparts.

Spencer’s thoughts on the Ukraine crisis hew closely to Moscow’s.

“I think to a large degree the Maidan revolution was organized and funded by outside powers, I don’t think that’s a controversial statement,” he said. “I certainly understand the position of Ukrainian separatists and nationalists. I think that to a very large degree they are supporting a geopolitical policy of Washington and I myself am more sympathetic towards Russia as a major power entering the world stage. Russia has the opportunity, to put it bluntly, to make the world a better place.”

“I’m sympathetic toward Putin in many ways,” he said.

Spencer is a great admirer of Dugin’s, whom he says he knows personally, and will be publishing a Dugin volume about the German philosopher Martin Heidegger this fall titled Martin Heidegger: The Philosophy of Another Beginning under the Radix Journal imprint, which is part of NPI.

“We’re certainly honored to have him at our conference,” Spencer said.

“I think the fact that we’re inviting Dugin is expressive of the fact that we want to have a real healthy dialogue with the major currents of Russian conservatism,” Spencer said.

h/t Adam Holland

1. Yep, a lot of racialists are getting behind Putin. Usually because he’s currently in conflict with the US/NATO and/or because Russia is a “white nation.” Some other relevant facts though:

– A lot of leftists, including none other than Fidel Castro, are also behind Putin. And this isn’t a new trend.

– Right wing racists in America sought collaboration with Malcolm X and other black nationalists (as illustrated by the famous picture of George Lincoln Rockwell at the National of Islam rally). So did most of the left.

– Ron Paul and his far right supporters are against US/NATIO/KIEV actions against Russia and/or the separatists. They were against the Iraq and Afghanistan invasions. Same with most of the left.

What does this tell us?

Is the racist right is correct, is the left is just as fucked up as the Neo-Nazis, or are things maybe not so black and white (no pun intended)?

Comment by Steve D — September 3, 2014 @ 5:31 pm

2. – Right wing racists spoke out and even marched against the US invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq. So did the entire left.

What in fuck’s name are you talking about? That some individuals marched against the invasion of Iraq or Afghanistan? Or that the KKK and Glenn Beck were mobilizing their members and followers to march on Washington? The next time you write something so deliberately obtuse, you will be banned. You post too fucking much anyhow.

Comment by louisproyect — September 3, 2014 @ 5:46 pm

3. Aren’t you a computer programmer? So I would imagine you know how to use Google if you were somehow unaware of this truth that I managed to find out about from the other side of the world as a non-American.

Ku Klux Klan wins approval to protest Iraq war – http://www.jpost.com/International/Ku-Klux-Klan-wins-approval-to-protest-Iraq-war

This is but one example of many.

You’re not very welcoming to commenters here. I’ve been insulted for making helpful comments on the different content you produce and now for pointing out some basic truths and contradictions. Your behavior isn’t very unbecoming of someone who claims to be for socialist solidarity and the human community.

I won’t fall to the level of returning the vitrol. I don’t know you personally and I would have no interest in hurling curse words around even if I did. If you would like me to stop reading and commenting (and proofreading — I spotted dozens of mistakes in your last few articles on CounterPunch that their editors even missed and let you know) that’s something I can certainly do. Enjoy preaching to the choir I guess.

Comment by Steve D — September 3, 2014 @ 8:04 pm

4. No, it is not at all typical of the antiwar movement of the early 2000s. In fact, the Jerusalem Post article you posted a link to was the only one I could find googling “kkk opposed iraq war”. Let me tell you something, Steve. Generally I don’t pay you much attention because you are not very interesting but my patience is becoming exhausted. If your only purpose here is to be a gadfly, I will ban you. You are spending far too much time here as it is and it would be best for me and for you to keep a lower profile, number one, and to be more constructive, number two

Comment by louisproyect — September 3, 2014 @ 8:47 pm

5. Just an observation:

Ron Paul supported the invasion of Afghanistan never spoke at anti-war rallies during the Bush years. Whether this is because the organizers wouldn’t put him on the speaker’s list or because his criticism of the invasion of Iraq wasn’t high on his list of priorities in 2003/2004/2005 is another question.

But it strikes me that Paul was part of the whole teabagger push in 2008 and 2009 to label George W. Bush a “liberal” and absolve the Republicans of responsibility for the invasion by renaming the Repubilican party the “Tea Party.”

The anti-Iraq-war rallies were largely organized by the far left, some of whom, admittedly are very much on Putin’s side this time around.

Comment by srogouski — September 4, 2014 @ 5:58 am

6. This will be the last post I make here. Please allow me to make it to refute the charges that I’m spouting nonsense.

Google has to be played with a bit but literally hundreds examples of racist right groups against the wars can be found. The KKK obviously isn’t one of the biggest groups and it’s actually one of the smallest now.

Rather than post link after link I’ll just post this from a well known (unfortunately) blogger:

“I remember the Iraq War in 2003. The WN [white nationalist] consensus against it was 100%. Anyone who would have argued in favor of it would have been laughed and hated out of our discussion groups.” http://mindweaponsinragnarok.com/2014/03/21/white-nationalists-on-the-right-side-of-history-again-re-putin-and-ukraine/

With that out of the way my actual point which was ignored: the far right and far left have taken the same position on a number of issues in history. They have different methods but they came to the same conclusions.

So (if it wasn’t obvious) a position isn’t wrong or right based on whether or not right racists support it. To paraphrase Trotsky, we don’t simply put a minus where the neonazis put a plus.

Thank you and goodbye.

Comment by steve d — September 4, 2014 @ 6:12 am

7. Yes, on the day that NATO meet to escalate the conflict and Russia outline ‘peace proposals’ the breaking news is that some far right fanatics are to meet!

And this is the problem with the article, it is merely a counter claim to the fact that fascists support the junta. Though the category of ‘right-left convergence’ isn’t really worth the courtesy of a response, a simple pathetic will suffice coupled with an observation of must do better.

And for what it’s worth, if you look at the electoral map of Ukraine, the further West you go the greater the support for Sverboda, the main far right party in that country.

The other problem with the article is that it shows Proyect is doing little more than propagandizing for US imperialism.

Don’t come here if you want to be informed about this situation.

Comment by Simon Provertier — September 4, 2014 @ 7:46 pm

8. Don’t come here if you want to be informed about this situation.

Stupid fucking knucklehead. Now you will find some other blog to troll. Bye-bye.

Comment by louisproyect — September 4, 2014 @ 7:53 pm

9. Srougouski

No more than 10-15% of the extant “tea party” has ever been “isolationist” even to the degree of Ron Paul. Rand, of course is busy betraying his dad’s legacy, and can be fairly accused as an example of something like you suggest.
    However before the Koch Brothers bought out the tea party, it was antiwar/populist Perotista.

Comment by amspirnational — September 4, 2014 @ 11:10 pm