April 19, 2010

Video excursion #2

Filed under: Afghanistan,pakistan,Youtube — louisproyect @ 4:26 pm

This is my latest excursion into video production. I have a brief introduction, mostly intended to test technology. If you’ll remember, my last video intro was taken directly on the Macbook and used Photobooth. For some reason, the images and sound were out of sync. This time I used the Macbook camera directly feeding IMovie and the problem went away.

The rest of it is multi-part recordings (Youtube has a ten minute limit per clip) of two talks from last month’s Left Forum. Adaner Usmani and Derrick O’Keefe gave very sharp presentations on Pakistan and Afghanistan which I highly recommend.

My next project, btw, will be a lot more ambitious. I plan to go up to Bard College for commencement weekend and a reunion for the class of ’65. God, I can’t believe how old I am. My intention is to do a poor man’s Ross McElwee documentary that amounts to a radical walking tour of the campus. Not that there is anything radical about Bard, only my impudent commentary on Leon Botstein’s monuments to liberalism and excess.

An introduction

A talk about Pakistani politics

A talk about Afghan politics

1. Your home page is one of the channels I feature from my own page (click my name here for the link). I’ve recommended your posts on the Internationals for a small communist YT group’s discussions, I hope you don’t mind.

Comment by Binh — April 19, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

2. This is good. Thanks.

Comment by Michael — April 20, 2010 @ 1:07 am

3. Does anyone have anything to say about http://aan-afghanistan.com?

Comment by Michael — April 20, 2010 @ 1:11 am

4. On about aan-afghanistan.com,

from first impressions I would say too much superstructure not enough base. I also am wary of any organisation claiming to be independent.
    They seem to specialise in post conflict state building, which sounds like imperialism to my mind.

Comment by James — April 20, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

5. Louis,

I’m looking forward to you travel tour of Bard. My last trip to the campus was more than forty years ago and my only contact has been the fancy alumni magazine. I wanted to go myself but I’m still working–picking up part-time shifts while collecting my pension, and the trip East from Oakland is too expensive for me. I finally got in touch with my old roommate Richie who I last saw in Madison in ’65. I reminded him of our summer trip to the mid-west in ’62 to work as migrant farm workers. Give him my regards at the reunion. As for myself, I ‘industrialized” when I moved to the Bay Area in the Seventies. I was then in the International Socialists (soon to be expelled). My thirty plus years as a blue collar worker, shop steward, and union militant has been constant pleasure. Perhaps that is because I have lived it in San Francisco and Oakland in a political culture not so different from that described by Jack London in MARTIN EDEN. I’m now a member of Solidarity who every day looks forward to reading your blog. Should you ever make a trip to the Bay Area please look me up.

Paul M., Bard’64

Comment by paul mueller — April 21, 2010 @ 12:23 am

6. Love it. More videos, please.

Comment by Jon — April 21, 2010 @ 10:45 pm