April 3, 2010

My youtube maiden voyage

Filed under: financial crisis,Latvia,technology — louisproyect @ 8:32 pm

Why I am getting into youtube:

Jeff Sommers talk on Latvia, part one:

Jeff Sommers talk on Latvia, part two:

My youtube channel

1. I enjoyed the video commentary.

Comment by epoliticus — April 3, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

2. Nice work. There is something to using video even if its for a brief intro to a person then I often just listen to the audio. As you know I have been on MM for ages but its good to see someone you ‘know’ virtually now live on video. Did anyone ever pull together something on Mark Jones stuff?

Comment by Shane H — April 3, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

3. A bit disconcerting that the audio and video aren’t synced in the top video. What happened?

Comment by Eli Stephens — April 3, 2010 @ 11:16 pm

4. Eli, I honestly don’t know what happened. I used Photo Booth to record it and then put the file on the desktop that was then uploaded to youtube. Why don’t you try this yourself and see if the same thing happens.

Comment by louisproyect — April 3, 2010 @ 11:49 pm

5. Lou,

Wonderful initial walk in the brave new world of YouTube. That you grab the opportunity and make it happen is testimony to your thoughtfulness and your unrelenting will to make all of us work for a better world.

Many thanks.

Gilles

Comment by Gilles d'Aymery — April 4, 2010 @ 1:47 am

6. you should really use a better title next time 😉

Comment by PfromGermany — April 4, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

7. Frankly speaking, the fact that the audio and video are out-of-sync was barely perceptible to me. Perhaps the reason for this is that I do not have a very trained eye, i.e., this problem was more likely to be observed – quite understandably – by those with experience in such matters.

In any event, perhaps you will consider making weekly video commentaries. This would be an excellent idea, as would a course on Marxism on YouTube.

Comment by epoliticus — April 4, 2010 @ 4:29 pm

8. Yeah I agree with epoliticus weekly video commentaries would be awesome. And the video is really nice.

Comment by Richard — April 4, 2010 @ 6:45 pm

9. Boring, badly presented, too many umms and an underlying Skippy impression thrown in for good measure. As New Labour in the UK once said, things can only get better.

But it is important that the left make use of this media, and equally important that they use it effectively. So keep practicing.

Comment by Steve — April 5, 2010 @ 10:34 am

10. Not boring, because we’re interested in Lou. I’m sure he’ll get the knack of looking us in the eye. As far as Jeff Summers goes, however, I would have got more out of reading his text. I’m eager to see the next try.

Comment by Peter Byrne — April 5, 2010 @ 3:13 pm

11. I am delighted to learn that Comrade Proyect has launched a Youtube channel!

Please allow a few fraternal criticisms. As anyone who has seen any of the CPUSA’s
    many (poorly produced) videos, the first thing that comes to mind is that poor lighting
    on the face detracts from the message one is trying to get across. In this case that glaring
    kitchen light has got to go as well as the blue glare from the computer screen on the glasses.
    Darkened eye sockets are bad news in still portraits and this applies to video presentations.

Why are these details important? A message presented in a visual format should be
    visually appealing and allow the viewer to focus on the message and not the distractions.

Comment by Stiofan — April 6, 2010 @ 2:18 am

12. My video clip was done using the Macbook camera which I don’t plan using again. I have to figure out how to use my Panasonic in self-portrait mode.

Comment by louisproyect — April 6, 2010 @ 2:27 am