August 30, 2013

Whither North Star?

Filed under: Pham Binh,revolutionary organizing — louisproyect @ 8:24 pm

varnC. Derick Varn, North Star’s new editor

This morning when I checked in on the North Star website, I spotted a Youtube clip of George Galloway’s speech to parliament opposing British intervention in Syria. As much as I enjoyed Galloway’s debate with Christopher Hitchens and as much as I am opposed to Obama launching missiles against Syria (or anywhere else in the world), my reaction was similar to the one I would have had if after turning on my favorite classical radio station, I heard the strains of Elton John’s “Crocodile Rock” instead. What the fuck? George Galloway? The guy who gets paid 80,000 pounds a year by the Syrians and the Iranians to make their case?

As some of you may know, Pham Binh resigned from the North Star editorial board three days ago, stating that he was “retiring from political writing to take care of long-neglected problems and people in my personal life”. This leaves C. Derick Varn and Pavel Dubrovsky as co-editors in chief. Despite lip-service they are paying to the idea of continuing with the mission of North Star, I doubt that this will be possible even if that is their stated opinion. I know nothing about Dubrovsky but Varn’s political past sets off all sorts of warning bells even if I cannot regard him as politically retrograde. In fact, it is hard to get any kind of fix on his political views, something that obviously was not the case with Pham Binh. I will be returning to the question of North Star’s future but will now take a look at its past—starting with its birth.

I can’t remember exactly when I wrote it, but about a year before I retired I alluded to some projects that would be possible after I retired. One of them was an online newspaper that would be in the spirit of Lenin’s Iskra, a place where socialists could post articles, interviews, Youtube videos, etc. as well as debate with each other.

In late 2011 Pham Binh broached the subject of launching a website along these lines but focused on the Occupy movement. Since I was impressed with Binh’s writings and since we had agreement about the “party” question, I gave it the green light. As far as I was concerned, this was Binh’s baby. I put up the three or four hundred dollars for the WordPress template and the hosting. I also provided technical support early on. That was my total involvement.

The website was called “The North Star” in honor of Peter Camejo’s network that I was part of in the early 80s, and ultimately in honor of Frederick Douglass’s newspaper whose name Peter had adopted. He was committed to the idea that American socialists had to dump the icons of the Russian (or Chinese past) like the hammer-and-sickle and utilize images and themes that resonated with our own history.

Binh and I had high hopes that the Occupy movement could develop into something long-lasting and powerful but a combination of factors led to its demise. After the repression that Obama helped to organize wrested the activists from the public spaces, they had trouble refocusing their energy. Despite some successes around opposing evictions and aid to Hurricane Sandy victims, the movement wound down. This meant that the North Star would have to change focus. Binh made the decision to take up party-building questions more directly, as well as the dynamics of the Arab Spring. The articles he wrote about “Leninism” for North Star were extremely valuable, especially the one that made the case rather convincingly that the Bolsheviks and Mensheviks were never separate parties but factions of the same party—an analysis that Lars Lih came to support.

With respect to the Arab Spring, Binh and the North Star became lightning rods after his articles defending the right of the Libyans to call for a no-fly zone put him in the same category as Christopher Hitchens for the “anti-imperialist” wing of the left. To his credit, Binh defended his views against all comers. His willingness to debate anybody who dared to cross swords with him reminded me of the viral Youtube video of the honey badger, the one that shows the beast sticking his snout into a beehive with the narrator saying, “Honey badger gets bit but he doesn’t give a shit. He wants his honey.”

In the course of participating in Occupy Wall Street, not far from his workplace, Binh came in contact with Ben Campbell, a Canadian neuroscience PhD student who had become radicalized in the struggle and had begun studying Marxism in earnest. Ben, like Binh, was both brilliant and a quick learner. Unfortunately, like Binh, he had personal problems that would eventually make it impossible for him to continue with North Star.

In his naiveté, Ben joined the Platypus Society, a group that consists of highly educated graduate students and professors who are self-avowed enemies of the left today in the name of rescuing Marxism from itself. It is a curious mixture of the philosophy of Theodor Adorno, the Frankfurt school doyen, and the Spartacist League. The founder of the Platypus group, an art historian named Chris Cutrone, was a member of the Spartacist League and has never gotten over their kibitzing style. The approach is to sit on the sidelines castigating the left for its failures. Back when it was still on the left, Frank Furedi’s sect in Britain had the same illness.

Since I had become detached from the internal workings of the North Star, I can’t be sure about this but I have a strong suspicion that it was through Ben Campbell that connections with Platypus members was made, including C. Derick Varn—a former member. Here’s an interview of Ben Campbell by Varn in February 2013, when he was still a member, on the blog of Ross Wolfe, another Platypus member.

Just around the time that Varn became an editor along with Binh, Binh’s personal situation began to deteriorate. I can’t be sure when Varn came on board, but my impression is that Binh was so deluged by personal woes that having any kind of support was welcomed even if Varn’s provenance had little to do with the North Star’s mission. I think perhaps in Varn’s mind, there was a connection between the two projects since they both involved sweeping attacks on the existing left. The key difference, however, was that Binh had an activist orientation and sought more than anything to lay the groundwork for a new left, in the same manner as Peter Camejo in the early 80s and Bert Cochran in the early 50s. In a way, it is unfortunate that just at the time that the conditions are most propitious for such a development, Binh’s personal situation has forced him to retire from writing.

Turning back to the North Star website, I really have no idea what Varn and company intend. The sad fact is that not a single one of the editors has ever written an article there. Varn and fellow editor Dario Cankovich have posted interviews there from time to time but unlike Binh have never written a single article. Of course, a preemptory search turned nothing up and I accept the possibility that I might have missed something but to be sure their views were not dominant.

Frankly, I would not have a problem with them using the North Star for their own ends, even if they were opposite Binh’s. If I can get something out of Crooked Timber, I can surely get something out of a rival band of well-educated grad students. Maybe Varn will tire of this venture and move on to other things. As he put it once:I have the nasty habit of flirting with various ideological tendencies, going through a myriad of variations of each, and seemingly changing colors with each of them like a demented chameleon.”

1. In regard to Ben Campbell possibly being a conduit for members of the Platypus Society to become involved with the North Star, you neglected to mention that he subsequently distanced himself from it:

But, as circumstantial evidence in support of your hypothesis, Campbell’s open letter was, as far as I can tell, never posted at the North Star. A duckduckgo search failed to find any posting of it there. I remember reading when it appeared at Lenin’s Tomb, and waited for it to appear at the North Star, but I never saw it.

On a lesser note, I am now being moderated in my dustup with Abraham Marx over there about transgender, which he considers deviant. We will see if my comment gets approved. If it doesn’t, that’s not a good sign, as I will be joining you in the ranks of those who require parental oversight by the editors.

Comment by Richard Estes — August 30, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

2. I was kind of hoping you would find better dirt on me, but yes, I did say those things and your account of the situation is somewhat correct: Although we joined North Star because we were becoming disillusioned with Platypus, not the other way around. You will see some of my work soon enough, Louis. But Cutrone was never particularly fond of my politics, quite possibly less than you are, even when I was a member.

Now I do not want to rehash old wounds in public because I have avoided talking about both the personal and ideological reasons I stopped writing for Disloyal and I left Platypus, but let us say, you are right that leaves a bad spot on ones political record. Let us call it a massive lapse in judgment.

Galloway’s politics are not my own, and while I did consent to the post being made on the site, that was not entirely my decision either. I think Galloway is a political cretin of the first order, cynically using British demographic contradictions to boast his electoral standing, but the piece was relevant.

Comment by skepoet2 — August 30, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

3. Thank you for the insight and background on my fav blog the Northstar. (i think there was a Northstar in England at about the time Karl Marx arrived ~ not sure if it was a sister publication to F Douglass ?
    i thought Galloway was right on the money with his speech to what the House of Commons; His public quips about Israhell’s lawlessness +++ So what if he’s paid to come to that neck of the woods and work on Tee Vee ~ he should be paid! WTF
    Pham’s nest egg of Party building is quite important to the group/S i’m with trying to develope a real party to change the system… hope it will retain this refreshing window of opportunity.
    As for the more or less new cadre/editors time will tell sometimes things fit like a glove sometimes it takes a little wrestling and other times the glove doesn’t fit. i do hope we don’t have to spend much time on Stalin and Trotsky etc. Now Marx and Engle OK!
    Louis, you can be proud of how far Northstar has come ~

Comment by Darwin26 — August 30, 2013 @ 9:20 pm

4. Galloway isn’t the problem; he’s a maverick and sometimes a fool, but he stands out only because the British left lacks a more principled politician with equal rhetorical skills and courage. He stands out because the others are lacking – and it’s not just the British left, Galloway is a rare example of a once common species of populist politician with good rhetorical skills that has no largely died out and been replaced with very serious, rather un-charismatic people reading from papers speeches written by others.

Comment by Raimo Kangasniemi — August 30, 2013 @ 10:01 pm

5. “Later on he decided to publish the entire thing en bloc, in a move that rubes like Richard Estes ironically praised as “a principled move.””

You forgot to include Louis in this, as well as others like George Cicariello-Maher, after all, they signed it. I was too much of a rube to get the opportunity.

Comment by Richard Estes — August 30, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

6. I am fond of Ben, personally, still, although I have not talked to him in quite a while since he had needed to focus on his family and studies. Ben went into Platypus partly because of me, and he helped me take a step I had, honestly, felt the need to take for a while, but because of personal loyalty to prior friends in NYC, did not. As far all the talk of people’s personal issues, I would prefer not rehash that in public. All the people in mentioned here have left Platypus, all for different reasons, some of which Louis might even approve of. In the end of the day, Louis is right about one thing: It is what we produce that matters.

Comment by skepoet2 — August 30, 2013 @ 11:36 pm

7. To set the record straight, last quote in this post is not by Varn, but by me. Varn no longer writes for that blog, and I as the new administrator inherited all of his posts. And he did not write this one, I did. Please correct this in order not to deceive your readers any further on this particular aspect.

Comment by El Mono Liso — August 31, 2013 @ 12:59 am

8. #11: Why don’t you fucking pinheads stop screwing around with the phoney names so it won’t be such a chore to figure out who is writing what. Now that it is determined that you are the deranged chameleon, you at least have a leg up on Varn who as far as I can tell has written zilch.

Comment by louisproyect — August 31, 2013 @ 2:36 am

9. Hi Louis,

Dario wrote (IMO) a great piece on NS titled, “Burying Lenin”.

Oh, and getting on a public forum like this and discussing someone’s “mental imbalances”, whether they are real or perceived is one of the worst things that I have seen on the revolutionary left (and that is saying something as I have seen quite a lot). And taking joy in witnessing the, “glorious trainwreck”? How disgusting.

Of course, this is the same person who publicly posted private messages between himself the person he is now maligning.

Truly despicable. The lowest of the low.

Comment by Brandy Baker — August 31, 2013 @ 4:47 am

10. “…Frank Furedi’s sect in Britain had the same illness.”

Err, what exactly do you have against Frank Furedi? As far as I’m concerned he’s a libertarian socialist but I suppose you don’t agree. I’m not being a troll here, at least I don’t think so, but he’s the only person you mentioned that I knew anything about.

Sincerely,
    George Balanchine

P.S. Speaking of sectarian, the entire post seems to be about who was with Platypus before North Star, who was responsible for introducing Platypus to North Star, etc. like a bunch of guys talking about bands or something.
    P.P.S. Okay, maybe that was a bit of a troll, but the word “sectarian” just came into my head as I was reading this.

Comment by George Balanchine — August 31, 2013 @ 6:51 am

11. Louis, I wouldn’t go around calling anyone a “fucking pinhead” if I were you, given that you (by your own admission) let yourself be scammed out of some $20,000 in donations to the American SWP. I don’t even know if that’s adjusted for inflation, so it’s potentially even much worse.

Comment by Ross Wolfe — August 31, 2013 @ 11:24 am

12. “you at least have a leg up on Varn who as far as I can tell has written zilch.”

Actually, 500 or so of the posts on that blog are mine, when I transferred the blog to Mono, it relisted all the blog posts as his. Also, if you did a deeper google search (which I know you did to get that picture), you would find a pretty wide variety of stuff I have written under my real name. I did not write political stuff under my real name a year ago because I was under the auspices of the South Korean national security law which makes Marxism “hostile to the state” a deportable or jailable offense, and that is taken really loosely sometimes. Politics sometimes really has consequences.

Also, I do have a personal blog (http://symptomaticcommentary.wordpress.com/) and another literary blog I edit (http://formerpeople.wordpress.com/). I post this out only say, if you going to say I have never written anything, despite a Linkin Page with links and blogs, and a few hundred posts on a blog with sign-offs, it would be good to do the homework.

Comment by skepoet2 — August 31, 2013 @ 11:37 am

13. I did not write political stuff under my real name a year ago because I was under the auspices of the South Korean national security law which makes Marxism “hostile to the state” a deportable or jailable offense, and that is taken really loosely sometimes.

I really can’t keep track of all your peregrinations but it is a fact that you have been conducting interviews with a number of Marxists all the while using your own name. If the repression in South Korea was as bad as you described, this would have been offense enough. In a way it doesn’t matter. For me it would have been much more important for you to have written a SINGLE article for the North Star website under your own name that was a clear and forceful expression of your views on how the revolutionary movement can be built. If you were using a pseudonym, that would have been no problem because Binh would have told me the author’s identity. But here you are. The new editor with zero writing credit to his name taking over as editor of a high-profile website. Brilliant.

Comment by louisproyect — August 31, 2013 @ 1:07 pm

14. At this point I think accountability is a big thing. And the easiest thing to be accountable to at this point I think would be the NSN Facebook group and all of its members. We could take a vote of who should be on the editorial staff. Personally I think Louis Proyect, John Halle, Tim Horras, etc. would do a much better job. If anyone takes this idea of accountability to those in the Facebook group seriously, let me know, because I’ll rejoin. I’ve quit it for the moment because this new direction for the whole project makes me too sad.

Comment by Jon Hawk — August 31, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

15. I’d definitely like to get some women on the editorial staff too. At the moment the gender balance is beyond embarrassing. It’s downright shameful.

Comment by Jon Hawk — August 31, 2013 @ 2:07 pm

16. Holy shit. So this is the kind of behind the scenes creepiness that chewed up Binh, spit him out, and is killing the North Star.

Comment by Abraham Marx — August 31, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

17. “Holy shit. So this is the kind of behind the scenes creepiness that chewed up Binh, spit him out, and is killing the North Star.”

Sad, isn’t it? I wish him well.

Comment by Richard Estes — August 31, 2013 @ 4:36 pm

18. Wow, I really love how bitter Louis is over having lost control of The North Star, even if only from a distance. As far as behind-the-scenes shit is concerned, most of it involved Ben Campbell and his various tantrums (and the campaigns that issued from them). To his great credit, Binh refused to have any part of the whole motion to disengage Platypus, unlike Louis here.

But what I really can’t wrap my head around is all this rot you’re sending Derick’s way for having not written enough articles or The North Star or whatever. As far as I can tell, it was Binh who originally asked Derick to take on more editorial responsibilities, eventually resulting in him landing the chief editor spot. Louis, you doth protest too much.

Comment by Ross Wolfe — August 31, 2013 @ 5:39 pm

19. OK, so is no one up for voting on a new editorship for TNS? What about just moving the site, and all the regular contributors somewhere else? I’m about to give up.

Comment by Jon Hawk — August 31, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

20. Have some patience, Jon. I might get involved in some way down the road.

Comment by louisproyect — August 31, 2013 @ 6:08 pm

21. I come to this blog once a week, and every time I do, there’s a 99% chance Louis is having a completely temper tantrum as to why X Marxist isn’t good enough. He’s pigeonholed himself!
    I think it’s about time I take LP’s blog off my list of links.

p.s. I never read the North Star, and I’ve had Varn on Diet Soap a few times. From my limited experience hearing Varn, he doesn’t strike me as someone worthy of all the shit you’re shoveling down his throat. Then again, nor do any of the other people, except actual state politicians, deserve the shit you shovel down their throat.

Comment by CB — August 31, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

22. I’ve had Varn on Diet Soap a few times.

Isn’t that a bestiality site?

Comment by louisproyect — August 31, 2013 @ 6:33 pm

23. Even if it were a bestiality site, why would you know that?

Comment by Ross Wolfe — August 31, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

24. I can understand the disappointment with Binh’s resignation and the apprehension with the direction of the site and project, but I would ask before judgment is passed to give the current editors some time. Binh’s resignation came suddenly, and those of us who were asked to take over (some of who had been working with both Binh and Ben, behind the scenes, on a relaunch of the site for several months now) are still trying to work through some of the logistics, to get regular contributors to commit to the site, to ready new content that has been in the works for a while but due to all the issues had been delayed.

Comment by Dario Cankovic — August 31, 2013 @ 7:45 pm

25. I’m sure after you officially go to and listen to diet soap, you’ll put up a blog post about some minutiae as to how the host misunderstood X, and therefore should be lampooned in a 2,000 word essay and then debarred from all socialist activity. Classic Louis.

p.s. I meant I’ve “heard” Varn, not ‘had’ Varn

Comment by CB — August 31, 2013 @ 8:22 pm

26. Perhaps there should be an editorial change, or at least an expansion; certainly a clear focus.

My basic thrust is that we must subordinate academic concerns and theory to something more fruitful – concerted tactical efforts, against the right or in the form of letters, or something, and a search for the kind of demands, messaging, metaphors that will resonate with the working class, and not just, as LP says, ‘grad students’.

I would suggest that the editors post an open thread (i.e. an article posted to the site with a list of questions, a taking of the pulse, a poll of sorts) debating what the North Star should do, both organizationally and polemically.

In the spirit of conciliation, it might also be worth shooting a few emails between people to smooth over the inflamed issues and find common ground.

Comment by Abraham Marx — September 1, 2013 @ 1:38 am

27. North Star, in terms of number of views, number of unique viewers and number of FB likers is doing better than ever before. We’ve more than doubled our viewership since taking a more open approach to presenting diverse views while simultaneously stopping the comments area from being dominated by a few loud bullies. We’re quite happy with the direction we are taking, which we discussed with Binh before the transition and which the editorial collective as a whole agreed. I’m sorry if Louis is unhappy over not being able to pull the strings from afar, but he always still has this forum in which to complain about other people and peddle gossip.

Comment by MODERN1ST — September 1, 2013 @ 4:38 pm

28. So, fuck conciliation, and fuck the godfather of the north star? Am I one of those loud bullies?
    Taking a confrontational stance towards the like-minded readership, as opposed to real enemies on the right…. well….

Comment by Abraham Marx — September 1, 2013 @ 8:48 pm

29. In all honesty, I imagine the increase in likes has to do with the new editors inviting their entire friends lists and the increased unique viewers has to do with people tuning into the drama of the editorial transition. But I’d love to be proven wrong. Hopefully it’s sustainable. We’ll see.

Comment by Jon Hawk — September 1, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

30. As things currently stand TNS appears to have been hijacked by some strange people that do not agree with it’s former and founding basic premise of essentially open honest and above board debate across a very broad spectrum of progressive or left schools of though.

As someone from the Maoist traditions might say ‘let a hundred schools of thought contend’ was TNS and is not now.

The new ‘control freak’ editors are clearly not even capable of holding up their own end of a debate as their lack of efforts over the last few months since they started to show up demonstrates. Now even with control of the editorial selection process they still can’t do anything other than trash the comments section because they just can’t stand seeing these ‘terrible views’ appear on their site. Views like those in favor of having another NATO war – in the manner of Libya – unfold in Syria. They have had to resort to open censorship and bleating about ‘bullies’ who obviously can hold their end up and have done so.

The chameleon above says ‘We’ve more than doubled our viewership since taking a more open approach to presenting diverse views while simultaneously stopping the comments area from being dominated by a few loud bullies. We’re quite happy with the direction we are taking, which we discussed with Binh’

So I appear to have been banned from commenting with no justification other than presumably that I am what I said I was when I started to contribute to the site more than a year ago when my article was published on the site. http://www.thenorthstar.info/?p=1858 I have never had a problem with TNS before now as far as commenting goes. Even though I had many disagreements with Binh over various isues and policies under discussion.

I am left to guess that I am now ‘just disappeared’ by the new editors for holding views that are in favor of a cruise missile attack etc to smash Assad’s Baathist army just as I have always called for. There has been no discussion and no reply to my email of yesterday that asked.

‘I have never seen this type of moderation problem afflict a site before so I have to ask if I am being moderated and my 2 comments rejected?’

As I say this has not been replied to and the comments are not up and not expecting this I now only have the second comment as I had not kept a copy of the first. Perhaps if the new eds see this (and I suppose they will or it will be brought to their attention) and they still have a copy of what they would not allow on their new ‘diverse’ site they could post it here (if that is ok with louis?) at least that way everyone can see what a terrible person I am and why a site with diverse views requires in the interests of it’s further development that I be disappeared without a word!

Reading comment 27 above it is all quite clear. People are to be protected from a ‘loud bully’ like me’ yet I have never been called a bully in any forum and being disappeared without cause or debate is only to be expected of actual bullies that hate my views and can’t just ignore me and get on and present their own oh so interesting views because after all I might infect others with these views.

Actually silence is their only option: what could they say! That is why they can’t and won’t put up a JUNK file as has often been requested. That way people could see what was being junked for themselves and that would never do!

As to the site going from strength to strength; now that they are dumping the whole premise of the project and reverting to the three letter sect activities that required the founders to establish the site, well self evidently this will not be the case. Everyone will get bored and turn away from such very uninteresting conduct.

People who are ‘proud of what they are doing’ but can’t hold their own in the open forum of a public debate are boring and the site is now doomed. IMV nothing can be done with such a dishonest bunch of three-letter sectarians who will not engage with the big issues and have to essentially hide their actual standard three-letter views until they ‘get control’ of a site that was set up to stimulate debate that was not happening in their actual milieu. NEVERLAND! They are simply turning around and marching back to their ‘anti-war’ irrelevancy.

Now that they have the power, out they crawl, and change direction completely. But still they can’t say anything that people want to think about that is not being said and done far better elsewhere. So they are doomed to get bored and the project wither.

I have seen these type of ‘demented chameleon’ characters often enough before to know that this is exactly the pseudoleft style and content. It is exactly what turns everyone off the mad sects and cults that have almost disappeared up their own editorial self importance.

IMV pressing events re Syria require us self declared communists and revolutionary democrats and progressives of all sorts to think the issues through out in the open. Only the light of public debate can help develop thinking fit for out times. So currently adrift I am forced to ask others here if they have any further notions of how actual friends of the genuine TNS project ought to move forward??

Comment by patrickm — September 2, 2013 @ 4:14 am

31. Patrickm is on the money here; tinpot tyranny over a small website caught between anti-sectarianism and lapsing into its own sect only makes us all look ridiculous. Posting arcane articles from dead eras, plugging up all the other original content that’s been submitted (I have a few other articles I sent in; only one got bypassed and that primarily for obvious reasons) and having almost no published work of their own is absolute hypocrisy.

Patrickm and Jon Hawk; would you send me an email or offer your email addresses to me so I can send you one? Something must be done. I have tried sending a letter to who I assume is the campbell kid (using the northstar editor address that Binh once used) and his friend Varn; all i can sense from them is a type of biding-their-time until they can really clamp down on what they don’t like.

Comment by Abraham Marx — September 2, 2013 @ 4:43 pm

32. My email is Jonhoch3 at gmail.com. But I think the best place to organize something like this would be on Facebook using the NSN Facebook group, where all the major contributors are already gathered. For the record, I would just want to be a contributor, not an editor. And I think someone with less idiosyncratic views than me or Abraham would be best on the editorial staff.

Comment by Jon Hawk — September 2, 2013 @ 5:14 pm

33. I’m just gonna submit my stuff to Counterpunch. Fuck the North Star and their masturbatory intellectualism.

Comment by Jon Hawk — September 2, 2013 @ 5:30 pm

34. […] Pham Binh, resigned for personal reasons, I was disappointed. I was further disappointed when those who took over the North Star in his stead led it in what I regarded as an overly-academic direction, without involving those who […]

Pingback by North Star relaunches — but will it be open to anti-speciesist leftism? | Species and Class — November 12, 2014 @ 4:18 pm